22 January 2009

P.S. I LOVE YOU

FYI-This entry is more for me than it is for you.

I just finished watching this movie(P.S. I LOVE YOU) and toward the end Gerry writes about how he has "no regrets" and it got me pondering the question, "Do I have any regrets in my life?"

In my reflection I have very few regrets about things that I have done; like making Jonathan cry it out during the night when he was 6-9 months old, and the extra year (and $)to get my master's degree(seems like that was kind of a waste). No, I am pretty happy with the things I've done in my life. Rather I have found the most of my regrets lie in the moments that I've missed or forgotten because I didn't stop to savor the moment.

For me this new year has been a time for self-reflection to determine what areas of myself and my life need to change. I think this is an area that needs some work; I am going to live more in the moment . . . and while spontaneity is a part of it, mostly I am thinking in terms of not wanting to be so busy doing "stuff" that I don't recognize what is "SPECIAL" about my life.

All that we take with us when we die are the memories we've made during the experiences we've had. I don't think I'll remember which days the laundry, or dishes didn't get done, or what days Papa John's made us dinner, but I will remember how Jon always kisses me and tells me he loves me before leaving for work in the morning, and I will always treasure the beautiful smile on Landon's face today as he hugged Jayden and told her over and over, "I love you Jayden," or Jonathan's contagious laughter, or how Lauren is always the first one up and while she comes to my bed and snuggles with me she never falls back to sleep . . . but will just lay there with me until I'm ready to get up . . . there are so many little moments to treasure everyday if only I stop long enough to pay attention.

2 comments:

Happy said...

That was great to read, thanks Lindsay. I have been thinking about that a lot lately and the past few days I have been going through the "but I don't WANT to play with my child right now" feeling and keep reminding myself that someday I will look back and regret not spending that extra time with her. So thanks, I needed to read that!

Kristin said...

Thanks for helping me remember what is important. Love ya.